Basic Private Hospital Cover
What is it?
Get the cover you need without paying an arm and leg for what you don't. Basic Private Hospital Cover provides cover for surgery and related hospital costs for conditions that commonly occur when you're in your 20's and 30's, like wisdom teeth, tonsils and sinus surgeries.
Don't let a health issue get in the way of you enjoying life! Get cover online today, with no paperwork, one price for everyone and automatic acceptance for all kiwis in just four easy steps.
Why is it worth it?
- Easy sign up – no health questions at application
- $200,000 surgical cover per person each year
What will I be insured for?
Covered conditions under this plan
The list of what is and is not covered by each nib cover is called the Hospital Category List (see insurance documents). To save your megabytes, we’ve tabled the details for Basic Private Hospital Cover below for you.
Benefits of Basic Private Hospital Cover
These benefits apply to the conditions covered by Basic Private Hospital Cover (click on 'Covered conditions')
All benefit limits apply to each person on the policy (just in case you thought you'd have to share!)
Note: this is not the policy document. For all the legal bits, see the Basic Private Hospital Cover policy document under 'insurance documents'.
Includes costs for:
- Surgeon’s operating fees.
- Anaesthetist’s fees.
- Intensivist’s fees.
- Hospital accommodation (e.g. the admitted patient’s bed, a private room, excludes suites).
- Operating theatre fees.
- Surgically implanted prosthesis (in line with the prosthesis schedule).
- Laparoscopic disposables.
- In-hospital x-ray examination and ECG.
- Intensive post-operative care and special in-hospital nursing.
- In-hospital post-operative physiotherapy.
- Ancillary hospital charges (e.g. dressings, sutures, needles, bandages).
- In-hospital pharmaceutical prescriptions (in line with the PHARMAC Pharmaceutical Schedule A to G).
Click on 'what's covered' for the list of conditions this benefit applies to.
Oral surgery in a private hospital performed by a registered oral or maxillo-facial surgeon.
We will cover for removal of unerupted or impacted teeth (e.g. wisdom teeth) when performed by a registered oral or maxillo-facial surgeon, or a registered dentist. A 12-month waiting period applies.
For claims accepted by ACC, we cover the difference in cost between what ACC pays for a physical injury and the actual costs of surgery. A one-day waiting period applies.
Note: this benefit includes all ACC top up claims, whether or not it relates to one of the conditions covered by Basic Private Hospital Cover.
Covers registered specialist consultation, whether or not it relates to surgery.
We pay for three consultations each year.
Covers diagnostic investigation when requested by a GP or registered specialist, whether or not it relates to surgery.
We pay up to $4,000 each year.
Physiotherapy consultation and treatment up to two months after surgery.
We pay up to $300 each year.
Skin lesion surgery performed by a GP, including one pre and one post consultation and any related biopsy.
We pay up to $750 each year.