6 Things You May Not Know About Health Cover
6 things you may not KNOW about health cover
Private health insurance is known to take care of major medical expenses and help cut down on wait times for treatments and consultations, but with nib’s health select insurance policies*, you could be covered for so much more.
To help you get up to speed, we’ve highlighted six lesser-known benefits* that make health insurance worth every cent when you come on board with us!
1. Remedial massages and acupunctures
If you suffer from aches and pains or just have a particular muscle tension , then this benefit could be perfect for you!
You can have up to 80% of costs covered** for remedial massage, so you could be relieved of any discomfort and pain. This benefit also covers alternative treatments such as acupuncture and traditional Chinese medicine, giving you more choice in the type of treatment you receive.
2. Gym and sports bonuses
You may be eligible for a bonus of up to $300*** when you have no claims over a continuous two year period, which can be claimed towards a gym or sports club membership.
If gym memberships aren’t your thing, you can also use the bonus to buy sports or fitness equipment from a sporting retailer. Fancy some new active wear?
3. Braces, adjustments and consultations
Dreaming about that perfect smile? Lucky for you, expensive dental treatments are much more affordable with our dental inclusions - contributing to orthodontic treatments, such as braces and Invisalign.
For parents, you’ll have peace of mind knowing that if your child requires braces or any additional dental treatments in the future, up to $1,000** of the expenses can be covered****.
4. Health Management Programmes
As a health partner, we’re on a mission to help our members live healthier, more fulfilling lives. That’s why we offer a range of free Health Management Programmes to help proactively manage health conditions and symptoms, reducing the need for invasive surgeries.
These programmes have helped many members improve their quality of life. But don’t take our word for it! Glenn, a long-time nib member, suffered for five years with acute back pain. Through our Healthier Joints Pain Management programme, Glenn was given a personalised rehabilitation programme with support from a certified physiotherapist. As a result, his pain was significantly improved, allowing him to get back to playing with his grandchildren and enjoying trout fishing again. Check out his full story here.
Our other programmes cover:
- nib Healthier Joints: Weight Management – to help those suffering with osteoarthritis in knees and joints. This programme provides a portion-controlled meal plan and a fitness regime designed by physiotherapists, to help reduce your weight and take the pressure off joints.
- nib Healthier Heart – for anyone who has (or is at risk of) cardiovascular disease. We’ll work with you to map out a personalised plan to help minimise your health risk factors such as weight, diet and physical activity.
- nib Cancer Care – dealing with cancer can be a very stressful time for you and your loved ones. To help, we’ll connect you with a dedicated nib Wellness Coach, who can provide practical and emotional support as you navigate the healthcare system and undergo chemotherapy or radiotherapy.
- nib Bowel Screening – if you’re aged 45 to 75 and located in Auckland, we’ll offer a free at-home bowel screening kits for eligible members. If you do require treatment, you’ll receive one-on-one support from a dedicated nib Wellness Coach.
Programmes are available to eligible nib members between the age of 18-80 with Private Hospital cover**. To find out more about our nib Health Management Programmes, click here.
5. Travel and accommodation benefits
If you find yourself needing to care for your sick child away from home, the last thing you want to be thinking about is where you’ll be staying. Under our Private Hospital cover**, you can claim accommodation costs*** (up to $3,000) as your child’s parent or legal guardian.
For those in more rural areas, if you need to travel far for your major surgery or other medical treatment, we’re here for you too. Any travel and accommodation costs for yourself and your support person will be covered under our Private Hospital cover**, so you can focus on resting and on your recovery.
6. Mental health consultations
If you find yourself struggling, it can be difficult to reach out for help. We make it a little easier, by helping to cover up to 80% of the consultation costs* with a recognised psychologist or psychiatrist. Whether it’s your first session or one of many, you can get the professional help you need, with one less thing to worry about.
Get a quote here www.join.nib.co.nz or call our friendly team on 0800 123 642 option 4.
* The above benefits apply to Standard Everyday, Premium Everyday or Private Hospital covers.
Exclusions, waiting periods, eligibility criteria, benefit limits, excess payable, and full policy terms and conditions apply.
** Benefit limits based on Premium Everyday . Please read full terms of this policy here.
**** Benefits are only available if the child is an insured member under the policy
Information correct as at 27 July 2021